Sunday, August 17, 2008

Things That Are Bugging Me Right Now

The separation of church & state - when is this going to be a reality? Why does my money say, "In God We Trust"? Even if I do trust in God, the person to whom I'm making payment may not. Why are kids as young as Kindergarten reciting a Pledge of Allegiance that states, "One nation under God"? And why, oh why, is CNN broadcasting a Presidential Candidate Forum moderated by a minister and held in that minister's church???? Rick Warren introduced this event by stating a belief in the separation of church & state, yet one of his questions for the candidates is about their "walk with Jesus." Excuse me??? I don't care if my President is walking with Jesus, Buddha, or nobody but his own shadow! The current Prez not only walks with Jesus, he has been spoken to by God - and he's not exactly a great endorsement for the benefits of a Christian President!

The Olympic$ - billions and billions of dollars have been spent on these games, by China in getting ready to host, by athletes and sponsors, by spectators, etc. How many homeless families could be sheltered by just the cost of the Opening Ceremony? How many meals could one gold medal buy? Hua Ming explores this in more detail than I could, as my mind is just spinning around and around about this.

Parenting Status of Olympic Competitors - ok, I agree it's pretty impressive to be a 41-year-old Olympic Swimmer (Dara Torres), but why must every mention of her refer to her as "a 41-year-old mother?" My husband disagrees with me (sweet, naive man!), but I truly believe if Dara were a David, the announcers would not constantly refer to him as a "41-year-old father."

Of course, these are only a few of the things bugging me right now - but nobody wants to read about heat rash on the inside of my elbow, the sunburn on my nose, the inability of anyone in this house but me to wash a dish, PMS, etc. Maybe another day.

2 comments:

Mamadelphia said...

I'm really late reading this! But I agree about a million percent. A candidate's religion (or lack thereof) should be their personal business. Nobody's asking McCain and Obama about what hand they wipe their ass with, or whether they wear boxers or briefs...

lala said...

Did you leave out the Fibromyalgia? I think so. You need to hang with me if you are looking for an answer to dealing with Fibromyalgia.

http://paleoautoimmunerecipes.blogspot.com/