Thursday, December 27, 2007

Why My Blog Is Titled "Discursiveness"

My email account randomly offered "Discursive" as the word of the day recently, and I felt I'd found MY word. I have a tendency to switch from subject to subject - in thought, writing, and speaking. I've often described it as babbling, stream of consciousness, rambling - these never felt quite right, though.

babble, intransitive verb
1 a
: to talk enthusiastically or excessively b: to utter meaningless or unintelligible sounds
I'm enthusiastic, even excessive - but never meaningless or unintelligible.

Ramble,intransitive verb
1 a: to move aimlessly from place to place b: to explore idly
2: to talk or write in a desultory or long-winded wandering fashion
Rarely aimless or desultory - long-winded, I'll admit! :)
So, the following definition resonated with me:
Discursive, adjective
1 a: moving from topic to topic without order
b: proceeding coherently from topic to topic
2: marked by analytical reasoning
3: of or relating to discourse <discursive practices>
dis·cur·sive·ly adverb
dis·cur·sive·ness noun
Yes! That's it! So, welcome to my Discursive Stream of Consciousness.

1 comment:

Mamadelphia said...

I love that you've started a new blog and I **love** that you've found your word! Yay! Thanks for linking to my blog. Looking forward to reading more of your words :)